Fri, 29 August 2014
Lord Retail is joined by a cavalclade of Acme alumni including John Bethel (ep #106 Good Ol' Children of the Atom, ep. #185 America Still Needs Your Help), Jay Howerton (ep. 120 People v. Acmecast), Ryan Rubio (Acmecast #166 Weapon X-Files, Acmecast #141 Gijoey), and newcomer Devin Turner to bask in the glory of the Marvel cinematic universe, past, present, and future!
- Editor's Note: I don't like to over-analyze the episodes that I didn't host myself, but if I could throw one thought out there, it would be that Jon Favreau doesn't get enough credit for establishing a visual style that is able to be both unique to each director and character (Star-Lord's dancing intro in Guardians, the period piece of Captain America: the First Avenger) and transcendant of all genres and actors.
Jermaine touches on Warner Bros. not getting the interconnectivity of the movies, the DVD shorts, TV shows, etc., and I think that's 100% true, but they've also clung to the super-stylized take that Christopher Nolan brought to Batman, even when it's not appropriate for Superman, Flash, Wonder Woman, etc., as emphasized by the leaked inter-office memo concerning Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice.
Even though they haven't gotten too far into the detailed reasoning behind Edgar Wright and the other cast members leaving Ant-Man, maybe Wright, whose body of work has always been 100% his, Simon Pegg's, Nick Frost's and Jessica Hines', couldn't play ball with the visual language to which Marvel movie-going audiences have become accustomed. Wright's other comic adaptation, Scott Pilgrim vs. the World, a favorite of mine, made just $47 million worldwide, whereas the least successful Marvel cinematic movie, Hulk, still grossed $263 million.
- I also just want to clarify the creative credits for Annihilation and Annihilation Conquest:
- Drax the Destroyer came out in 2005 before Annihilation began and was written by Keith Giffen.
- During the Annihilation minis from 2005-2006, Giffen wrote Silver Surfer, Abnett & Lanning wrote Nova, Javier Grillo-Marxuach wrote Super-Skrull, and Simon Furman wrote Ronan.
- Giffen then wrote the unifying Annihilation mini series in 2006, which the Nova ongoing series by Abnett & Lanning spun out of in 2007
- The Annihilation Conquest minis started in 2007, with Quasar written by Christos Gage, Star-Lord by Giffen (introducing the Guardians of the Galaxy as we know them today), and Wraith written by Grillo-Marxuach.
- Abnett & Lanning then stepped in for the climax mini series in late 2007/ early 2008, from which the Guardians of the Galaxy spun out.
Direct download: Acmecast_207.m4a
-- posted at: 12:00pm EST
Fri, 22 August 2014
Stephen and Riley are joined in the studio by Out of Step CrossFit owner and head coach Rob Turner as they get into their divergent and intersecting paths, making fitness and comics work for YOU, and a big week of debut issues with the Fade Out, Dark Horse Presents, Little Nemo Return to Slumberland and Multiversity!
Direct download: Acmecast_206.m4a
-- posted at: 12:00pm EST
Fri, 15 August 2014
Jermaine & Stephen set sail without a compass, throwing caution to the wind, and end up way down the rabbit hole as they wind their way through comics, movies and, of course, retail!
- The Acme Comics Subscription Terms & Conditions, available 24-7 on Acme Comics.com, with our cancellation policies.
- "Rumors: Marvel to Kill Off the X-Men?" at Comic Planet Culture.com, the article forwarded to us that prompted the second half of the hour.
- "Tom Brevoort Semi-Confirms Reduction In Prominence of X-Men At Marvel" at Bleeding Cool.com, the article that Stephen paraphrased during the discussion.
- Lawndale Fest BBQ Sale & Block Party - Saturday, August 16th • 10 AM - 11 PM
- Labor Day Holiday - Saturday, September 1st • CLOSED
- God Hates Astronauts #1 Exclusive Variant Release Party - Wednesday, September 3rd • 10 AM - 7 PM
- Baltimore Comic Con 2014 - Friday, September 5th - Sunday, September 7th
- Asheville Comic Expo 2014 - Saturday, September 20th • 11 AM - 6 PM
- Halloween Comic Fest 2014 - Saturday, October 25th • 10 AM - 5 PM
- NC Comicon 2014 - Saturday, November 15th - Sunday, November 16th
Direct download: Acmecast_205.m4a
-- posted at: 11:16am EST